Thursday, November 24, 2005

The Art of Estimation

I have noticed lately how bad I am at setting estimates for finishing a particular task. It is the only case where I should take the worst case time and plan for my schedule accordingly but I take the best time and then do it. I always think on a surface level that this task should not take me more than 'xxx' (just for the fun it, using 'x' as a variable is so boring) hours when I know deep down that it would take me more than that.
I keep snoozing my mobile until the last moment in the morning. I could get up 10 minutes early and not rush through everything. But I always estimate the best times, 30 min to get dressed up, 15 min to make lunch and have breakfast and so on and so forth. And I have noticed how even when that particular task is not finished I start planning for 4 more things. I feel so excited to start a thing but it takes a lot out of me psychologically to finish it. Guess i was never good at finshing stuff, one of the many mortal ills I have. But I have noticed that Indians are very optimistic when we estimate something. As if we have this temporary gift of optimism when we are planning. 'xxx' activity should not take more that this much and 'yyy' not more that so I should have my evening free and watch a delightful movie. If I am wrong, please GOD give me the answer to why I am like this. And if you do, I promise I will start believing in you apart from not doing the above mentioned thing.
The second thing that is that I have received 'comments' (or as I see them compliments) ( first from shivam da and lately some of my closest friends) that I was not this person when I was back home and they find it hard to relate this blog to me. I think there are many reasons ( read this). I admit that it I have become more vocal, but my thoughts have not been dramatically changed by this stay but I have come out with the thoughts that I had in my head for almost an year now. I no longer wear a mask to pretend that I am sure of what I am doing at IIT and where my life is heading(as one of my friends put it). Some people are looking forward to meet this new me ( thanx tote for the talk that day) and I am thinking that I may have not changed that much to really surprise them. As I always say, your imagination can make you expect things which are not really possible and that can leave you sometimes a little disappointed.

4 Comments:

At 11:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I may be able to give u further insight into this popular belief of u having changed a lot in these last 4 months.I would say that ppl who knew u (me included)percieved you as quite satisfied,confident and at times arrogant 'Kumaonite' without having any frustrations and hidden insecurities.So it must have been a surprise for them to see u discussing in general the problems faced by the 'non previleged IITians' of which u(exchange selection,compu dep,good in extra currics)were never considered a part of.I know u would say tht u dont give a damn abt what ppl think but ur posts connect u with the same ppl and I am not surprised tht their opinions abt u have changed.Lets hope tht the changes work out well for all concerned:))
P.S:I enjoyed the season's first snowfall today.It was a blast.

 
At 12:47 AM, Blogger inhas said...

@ mithrandir
I am still very satisfied , confident, plus a wee bit arrogant ( but not that much) and also I am still proud to be a 'kumaoanite'. And just a question, does only the 'non-privileged' section of IITians have a right to raise the issues they raise?? And which category do you think you fit into??

 
At 3:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Time management is a difficult art. I realized how bad I was at estimating time when I became a rep. But that one year taught me what to expect from time. Anyway, its a timely warning from you about not expecting to meet someone else when you come back. Although not entitled to pass judgements, i think you will definitely be more accesible.. i dont know how to put it exactly, but you wont scare people as much as you used to.

 
At 9:35 AM, Blogger inhas said...

@ shivam I know what is time management is about, i know prioritizing tasks pretty well, just that my scheduling them is not that good...you are right when you say that I may be a bit more accessible.. but exactly how scary am / was I???

 

Post a Comment

<< Home