Sunday, November 20, 2005

First Time Charm!

I have seen snowfall for the first time in my life and like many other things in nature it has made me realize the importance of something someone said long ago( whenever I say this I speak only of one man ;-) ).
A little digression. The snowfall is amazing and I am extremely tired from the snow fight , so this will not be coherent for I have slept only 7 hours a day this week (poor me !!) .

The thing is that only people who had not seen snowfall before had come out to ENJOY it. NO swedes of my age, no germans and they were giving the facial expression of .."Where do all these crazy guys/gals come from". But then there were two Swedish children having a gala time in the snow. I believe they were around 5 and 8 and hence this was not there first snow.
Which gets to me the important saying " Learn to enjoy the little(routine) things in life". Actually it should go only as "Enjoy the little things in life" and Learn that you need to follow this rule. The child can enjoy as many times. But when you are a little old, something called the first time charm kicks in. The thrill of doing the things in life for the first time. Why is not we do everything with the same enthusiasm as we did it the first time? We are losing out something if we are not following this.
People can argue that at some tasks you get better over time and then it would be like starting over from scratch but I am not talking about expert tasks. It is about enjoying the walk from the insti to the hostel no matter how much work you have. It is about being aware of the surroundings as you walk by it. I have noticed it in me. During my first month here, I used to go WOW everytime I saw a different colour on the trees. But in the second month, the WOW's came less frequently, It had to be extremely something spectacular to draw attention towards it . It is like addiction may be at some levels. I became so habitual to it that i needed it more for it to work. But why do we have to have this habit. Can not we enjoy it as if it was "first time".
I am completely aware of another thing that goes " That you can not step into the same river twice coz the river itself has changed during that time". But can not we step into the river each time with the feeling to experience the experience of stepping in completely. That should make us happier maybe. I think this post is getting self -contradictory in parts or I am too tired.

Second thing that confused me was me reading on some blog (sorry i do not remember whose, I am too tired) that you do not learn from your mistakes or you have to relearn the lesson many times before it becomes internalized and becomes a part of you. So this is what i was also thinking about.
Finally read it some where
"I would like to do everything in life atleast twice. For maybe the first time , I may be a bit nervous"

5 Comments:

At 9:14 PM, Blogger Phoenix said...

Wow! whoever your someone is, is a really intelligent soul, with lotsa good advice1:)

and, ya, very sweet post....resonates my philosophy, of finding happiness in the little things in life, because that is wat counts.
also an imp thing, that we often neglect wat we already have...
how little we realise things that are sources of fun and happiness that r with us, because we take them for granted!
but I dont wanna do everything twice..just a few maybe..but not everything, because there's just so much to do, so many little oys to grab, and so little time!

 
At 1:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I think I may have a clue to who ur someone is(think u told me once).I am waiting with bated breath for my first such experience,its still at frosty stage here.
Regarding the post,well I would say that the apprehensions,curiosity,nervousness,anxiety,sense of anticipation a person experiences the first time,its hard to experience them again.Though I agree with the desire of wanting to do anything again as the first time one may not be perfect(which I can certainly vouch by personal experiences:(( )
But I think here the greater point is not of doing a thing for the first time but the feelings associated with the moment,the sense of enjoyment and satisfaction attached to the event.This feeling if we can exp. in our daily life can certainly lead to wonders!!
But yeah I still have many things to do for the first time and maybe its in anticipation of these moments tht I can hinge my happiness.As ghalib said,

Hazaaron Khwahishain 'eisee ke har Khwahish pe dam nikle
bohot nikle mere armaan lekin phir bhee kam nikle.

 
At 1:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i also saw snow for the first time yesterday. But havent experienced a snowfall yet. The "getting used to something" is human nature. On finding happiness in small things - arent young people like us supposed to be restless, discontent and ambitious? Should we have ambition? I think yes, then can that prevent us from being content with small things. I think yes.

 
At 3:39 PM, Blogger inhas said...

@ phoenix I never expected that I would get a "sweet post" comment. Maybe that is something i need to acquire sweetness. Though yes, happiness is happiness . We tend to categorize it as big and small though they are the same feeling

@ mithrandir I only meant that we should do everything with the same ethusiasm as we did it the first time, experiencing the same kicks , not learning like the first time

@shivam Ambition is a very good thing to bring into this picture. But what are you ambitious for??? they never teach you that. Money and fame and name not going to get you the pleasures of small things, they are completely independent so why do we let one come in the way of the other

 
At 1:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think when you are obsessed with some big aim, you tend to neglect the little things... but its obviously open to debate.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home