Monday, March 20, 2006

The myth of the Phoenix

'My father liked to wonder aloud whether the phoenix was re-created by the fire of is funeral pyre or transformed so that what emerged was a soul-less shadow of its former being, identical in appearance but without the joy in life its predecessor had had. He wondered alternatively whether the fire might have be purificatory, a redemptive, rejuvenating blaze that destroyed the withered shell of the old phoenix and allowed the creature's essence to emerge stronger than it was before in a young, new body. Or, he would ask, was the fire a manifestation of entropy, slowly sapping the life-energy of the phoenix over the eons, a little death in a life that could know no beginning and no end but which could nonetheless be subject to an ever-decreasing magnitude? He asked me once if I thought the fires in our lives, the traumas, increased our fulfillment by setting up contrasts that illuminated more clearly our everyday joys; or perhaps I viewed them instead as tests that made us stronger by teaching us to endure; or did I believe, rather, that they simply amplified what we already were, in the end making the strong stronger, the weak weaker, and the dangerous deadly?'

credited to Professor Julius Superb
an unforgettable character from the book
Moth Smoke by Mohsin Hamid

15 Comments:

At 3:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who is the wise soul who suggested you to read such a brilliant book which explores such brilliant myths?

 
At 3:42 PM, Blogger Siddhartha Banerjee said...

My textbooks make easier reading:P

Personally, I much prefer reading what you write...I don't quite see what you want to say in this post...

 
At 5:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would back BOFI here.Thats the first time I have seen you quote a paragraph .Normally ur general pattern is to quote a line and then give ur own inputs.I somehow fail to understand where this post fits in the scheme of things.Would like some enlightement though....

 
At 8:21 PM, Blogger inhas said...

@ anonymous a gift from a mythical creature himself.

@bofi I really like the last line. All implications, said and unsaid only time will tell. and when d id you start reading textbooks :P?

@mithrandir I am not that great that i am not allowed to quote.

 
At 4:46 AM, Blogger Phoenix said...

I don't like mythical creatures.

 
At 8:14 AM, Blogger Planck said...

Even I don't like mythical beings! And there's some people who don't even reply to comments.....

 
At 8:23 AM, Blogger inhas said...

@phoenix mythical creatures are difficult to know, but once you get to know them they are quite fun

@ illiterate_sneha what do you have against mythical creatures?

 
At 3:15 PM, Blogger Planck said...

I myself am one.

 
At 4:54 PM, Blogger Planck said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 6:37 PM, Blogger inhas said...

<@ sneha > so are you against yourself ??

 
At 12:35 PM, Blogger Planck said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 8:08 PM, Blogger Harpreet said...

Lots of fun happening..n lots of comments being deleted.. neways, i liked the complete idea.

 
At 8:18 PM, Blogger inhas said...

<@ harry > the deleted comments are as much a mystery to me as to you..thanks for dropping by

 
At 6:30 AM, Blogger Planck said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 2:58 PM, Blogger  Raja said...

:-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home