Saturday, December 03, 2005

Sometimes shoes do not fit!

Sometimes you get better at things with time and then you seem to enjoy them a lot more. I had this amazing feeling in my body when I could skate on ice with reasonable speed and grace ( considering it was my only third time doing it :-) ). But what I want to say started with my first experience at ice skating.

I wear a shoe of European size 40.5, so the first time I went I rented a size 41 (after trying 44,43,42.. it had become really embarassing) and so they did not fit so well. My balance was not perfect and 30 minutes into the experience, my feet were hurting like hell. But I remember enjoying it for the first 10 minutes or so before my feet started hurting really bad. So the next time I went (I have become addicted to it), I tried a size 40 and I improved quite a lot. But at the end of one hour, my feet were still hurting a little. I was pretty tired today so had decided not to go. But at the last moment, my friend called up and asked me not to be lazy and just come to the place. So today, when I went, I confidently asked for a size 40 skate. But to my astonishment, they would not fit. I kept on trying for 5-10 agonizing minutes before my friend suggested that I should go and get a different pair. Thankfully I listenened to him and went and got a different set ( size 40 again) and this time they were this snug fit like they were designed keeping my feet in mind. And it became a lot easier to skate today. It was amazing. And at the end of 1 hour 15 minutes I was still going strong, feet not hurting and fully energized with the result that my friends had to literally force me to leave the rink.

Ice Skating is like taking a long drive. Some how it seems to clear my mind and align my thoughts. And while I was skating, I thought, what we do for a living in life is also like picking a pair of ice skates. No matter how enjoyable and exhilarating it seems in the beginning, if it is not meant for you, it starts to hurt sooner or later. But once you find a pair that fits, the experience becomes more enjoyable and it gives you energy while you are at it instead of sucking energy out of you. Everybody has to try for himself/herself and get a feeling to find a pair that fits. But just wish making decisions in life was as simple as going to the counter and asking for another pair.

9 Comments:

At 1:22 PM, Blogger Phoenix said...

I'm amazed and delighted by your perspective and thoughfulness.gbn

 
At 2:00 PM, Blogger mithrandir said...

U talk like the person u talk about.The way u correlate seemingly innocent situations into life fundas is just wonderful.Hope u just dont become a prisoner of ur own beliefs and lose track of the simple things.Try to enjoy once for just what it is rather than what it means.

 
At 2:50 PM, Blogger inhas said...

@ phoenix I am amazed at the amount of energy you have :-)

@ mithrandir
Hope u just dont become a prisoner of ur own beliefs and lose track of the simple things
That is one of the greatest fears I have as of now.

Try to enjoy once for just what it is rather than what it means.

Will you teach me how?? I hope things were as simple as you point them out to be.

P.S. me still waiting for the context of your scrap and thanx for the thoughtful comment.

 
At 3:37 PM, Blogger Phoenix said...

And how do u say that...as in how can u make out without even knowing me that I have so much energy!!:P

Try to enjoy once for just what it is rather than what it means.

Will you teach me how?? I hope things were as simple as you point them out to be.


Sorry to intrude but,everything, Rajat, is as simple as you please.

and this is a very powerful statement that I just made.

 
At 4:15 PM, Blogger inhas said...

@ phoenix as you put it, things are as simple as I please (very powerful indeed :-)), these things are not that simple for me now a days. Simple things can become complex and vice versa depending on the state you are in and I was hoping since mithrandir gave me the profound tip, I would like to know his way of doing it.
As for me not knowing you, true. But your energy is apparent anyways :-).

 
At 5:18 PM, Blogger mithrandir said...

Hey I just hope that u dont spoil this phase of ur life with its new aspects by constantly focussing on what lies beyond than what lies at hand.U only mentioned in one of ur posts that Indians have a tendency to live in the future without enjoying the present.Cant we enjoy things like freshly falen snow and skating by the feeling of euphoria it presents rather than thinking abt how to retain that feeling in evry chore of life.
I am not the right person to say this because often I have the same feelings as u do,and maybe its my way of justifying the above opinion to myself more than u.

 
At 1:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that was a very enjoyable piece to read. As a policy decision I will not discuss the philosophical aspects.

 
At 2:04 AM, Blogger inhas said...

@ mithrandir I will keep your tip in mind and I have booked for Kiruna.. yippee

@ shivam nice policy but how i would have loved to have a discussion. I am honoured that you found it a nice read.

 
At 8:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice piece to read... well, so we have something else in common other than comp. dept. and x-change prog...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home